I am very fortunate to live and work in areas where I have easy access to fresh, organic produce from local farms. My local farmer’s market often determines any given dinner. On a recent recent night, my dinner came from some fresh and massive bok choy from my co-op and an orange cauliflower from the farmer’s market outside my office building. I have never had this particular kind of cauliflower, but since the sign labeled it as “Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower,” of course I had to pick it up.
The farmer told me that the cauliflower would taste a bit sweeter than the standard variety. I couldn’t tell the difference, but it was still mighty tasty!
I recently discovered the “Super Extra Firm” tofu at Trader Joe’s. It’s pre-pressed, so it requires minimal draining. It’s perfect for quick dinners like this one.
I cubed up the tofu and then washed and cut up the veggies. I then did a quick stir fry along with some garlic, ginger, tamari, Hoisin Sauce, sesame oil and miso. The dish came out perfect. I served it with some Basmati rice, but brown rice will also work just as well.
- 1 tbsp. canola oil or other flavorless oil
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed – cut up in to cubes
- 2 tsp.
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. ginger, chopped
- 1 head of bok choy, cut up in 1-inch pieces
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed and cut in to florets
- 2 tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. red miso
- 3 tbsp. vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- scallions, chopped plus extra to garnish
- Heat up the oils in a large wok or saute pan
- Add in the cubed tofu and brown for a few minutes
- Once the tofu has browned, add in the salt, onions, garlic, ginger and garlic and saute a few minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower and bok choy and stir fry for about five minutes. Let the veggies soften. You don’t want them too mushy.
- Mix up the soy sauce, miso, hoisin and vegetable broth in a small bowl and then pour over the stir fry.
- Add in some of the scallions and the red pepper flakes. Taste and add additional salt as needed.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!