If you’ve been following along on Facebook and Instagram feed, you probably already know all about my CSA and the amazing produce I get each week. I’ve been getting a weekly share from a local farm called Alstedes. Each week it’s like a foodie birthday present. As I pick up the crate of veggies and farm fresh cage-free eggs, I get a huge smile on my face. What am I going to make first out of all the amazing goodies?
I love beets. I love all kinds of beets. The first box that contained beets had me so happy. I had a bunch of red beets from the farmer’s market in my fridge, so when the golden beets came, I was exuberant. I love to see those rings when you cut in to a beet. They’re just so pretty. And the colors? I love it!
I often simply slice or grate beets and put them in a simple salad or side dish, but I decided to include them in something more substantial for dinner. I also wanted to include the beet tops. Did you know that you could eat beet greens? You totally can! Just wash them and eat them raw in a salad, or you can saute them! They’re fantastic and so good for you!
I started out by roasting my beets. I peeled and sliced the beets thinly and tossed in some olive oil, salt and pepper and placed on a baking sheet. I baked at 415 for about 20 minutes – keeping an eye on them so that they didn’t burn.
I cooked up the pasta, reserving some of the pasta cooking water.
I then sliced up both bunches of washed beet greens.
I toasted some pine nuts, then added some olive oil, chopped onion and garlic to the pan.
Next, I added the greens, some salt and pepper.
I love how fast everything cooks up in this dish. The greens take only a few minutes to wilt.
I tossed the cooked pasta in to the pan with a small amount of the cooking water.
I plated the pasta and greens and served with the amazing roasted beets and some goat cheese. So simple, yet so delicious!
- 2 bunches of beets (about 6 medium beets)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Beet Greens from two bunches of beets, washed and sliced
- additional salt and pepper as needed
- Goat Cheese
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- ¾ pound pasta, cooked according to directions on box (reserving some pasta water)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Peel and slice the beets in to thin rounds. Toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper and place on baking sheet. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the box, reserving some pasta water.
- Toast pine nuts in large pan for 2 minutes.
- Add in the olive oil, salt, pepper, onions and garlic and saute for 3-5 minutes to soften. Add in the beet greens and saute a couple more minutes.
- Mix in the cooked pasta and a couple tablespoons of the pasta cooking water.
- Plate the pasta and greens. Top with goat cheese, roasted beet rounds and Parmesan Cheese if desired.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.